"Goodnight, Dear Void"

The title for this blog is inspired by something Meg Ryan says in You've Got Mail:
Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life. Well, valuable, but small. And sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So goodnight, dear void.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Classes - Week One

So my first week is over.  Hooray for that!  Part of the adventure last week was talking to the powers that be at the school about what classes I would be able to take.  I was able to be put on the waiting list for my drafting class, and talked to the head of my department about being able to take a historical architecture and furnishings class concurrently with one of it's prerecs.  I was feeling pretty optimistic in all going in.

Initially I was signed up for three classes on Monday and Wednesday, with only one of those three (computers) on Friday, one class on Tuesday and Thursday early afternoon, and one class Thursday night.  I was on the wait list for a class (drafting) Tuesday night, and was waiting to be allowed to sign up for a class on Tuesday/Thursday instead of the one I was signed up for (historical furnishings). (wow that was a long run-on sentence...sorry about that.)  I got to school early on Monday so I could get books, talk to Brother Hunsaker (the head of my department) and a few other things.  I hadn't yet been able to sign up for ID 210 (hist. furn.) and wanted to check in with him.

From that point on, everything went great...mostly.

A summary of the classes I no longer am taking:

COM 122: I never actually went to this one.  I dropped it as soon as things worked out with my Interior Design classes.

LE 100: This is what I call a Poodle class.  For those who don't understand that...well, it's not really important...the point is that it was going to drive me absolutely insane.  The first class period, my second class on Monday, the teacher went over what we were going to be doing, the assignments and subjects, and by the end I was a little overwhelmed with the amount of busy work I would have to do for this class that was supposed to teach me how to be an effective student.  After class I talked to the teacher - who seems perfectly nice, by the way - and asked her if it would still be a good idea for me to take this class if it was just going to cause me even more anxiety.  I don't think she really got it, but she said that she would be perfectly willing to work with me on when I could turn things in and so forth, so I left thinking maybe I could make it work...MAYBE this would be good for me.  Wednesday we started in on covering some of the material, and I decided I couldn't stand to talk about the most effective way to be someone I have already tried and failed to me.  I am NOT that type of student, and I never will be.  When I try, I end up in my bed with a book, or the covers over my head.  So I dropped that on Thursday night, after dealing with the guilt of dropping the class the school 'highly recommended' I take.

The classes I now have:

IT 102: this is the basic computers class that everyone in the school has to take, or test out of.  At the beginning of each semester you have the option to take what they call 'Challenge Exams' for the class.  You can choose to challenge the entire class, and therefore earn a Pass for the class, without having to take it, or you can challenge it a module at a time.  I elected to do the second option.  This way, I still have to go to class, and I still get a grade, and the credit hours in my schedule, but I don't have to do any of the assignments for any module I pass out of.  There are three modules, and you can only challenge the module as it starts, so I just passed out of the 'living online' module.  Now I go to class and answer questions that others have, leaving the teacher free to continue her lecture.  It's pretty awesome; I started my role as 'mentor' on Friday.  I'm really liking this arrangement.  I take this M/W/F at 11:10 (my earliest class :) )

REL 333: Teachings of the Living Prophets.  This is, obviously, my religion class.  It's pretty self-explanatory.  I have to write a short summary of each talk we discuss, as well as a few other smallish projects throughout the course of the class.  It'll be pretty easy, and I love the topic, so I'm optimistic.  This is M/W at 1:30.

ID 210: Historical Furnishings and Architecture.  The topic of this class is also pretty clear.  There are a TON of projects, and lots of work...but the subject matter is one of my favorites, and the teacher's pretty cool, so I think I can tough it out.  This is T/TH at 2:40

ID 125: Drafting.  I am super stoked about this class, actually.  It's been the one with the most supplies required, and that makes it super expensive, but I love drafting already, and the teacher seems like a blast.  She's super funny, and she'll let us out early a lot of the time...which is good because the class is scheduled for Tuesdays from 6:00 to 9:00 PM, and I have to take public transportation home.  It's been good so far...no one too scary.  Most of the people who HAVE talked to me seem to be at least as concerned with my safety as I am.

ID 104: Principles of Design.  This class is rather boring...kinda a review seeing as I've taken three Interior Design classes before this.  It's Thursdays from 5:00 to 7:00 PM.  The teacher is pretty nice, and although there's lots of work...it isn't TOO hard...we'll see.

That's my classes.  Feel free to refer back to this from time to time to understand what I talk about it later blogs...I'll try to keep you filled in on what I'm doing in my classes, and what I think about it...ahh a place to vent or enthuse.

Goodnight, dear void!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this. And I will refer to it often, especially when I try to figure out the best time to call - when you aren't in class and when it's relatively quiet around here! :) It sounds like you've worked out a great schedule - so worth dropping a class right away if it seems like a bad fit. Good choice! And I'm really curious about that whole "poodle" analogy. fluffy? Just for show? Or does the teacher have poofy hair and skinny legs? I'm intrigued. :) Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to here it all worked out. That drafting class sounds like so much fun. (can you believe I posted a comment? My first...)

    ReplyDelete